Cosmetic fillers are one of the best ways to reduce wrinkles, soften skin, and restore an overall youthful appearance. But just what are cosmetic fillers, and are they the right treatment for you?
In this article, we will provide an overview of cosmetic fillers covering what they are, what you should expect during the procedure, and how a skilled dermatologist can make the procedure as smooth as possible.
What are Cosmetic Fillers?
Cosmetic fillers are gel-based substances composed of hyaluronic acid which is injected under the skin. These fillers act to smooth wrinkles and lines via non-surgical means and are an excellent option for anyone hoping to achieve a more youthful appearance.
What Happens During a Cosmetic Filler Procedure?
In general, cosmetic filler procedures progress as follows:
- An Evaluation Is Performed by the Dermatologist. Before beginning the procedure, the doctor will sit down with you and discuss exactly what it is you are hoping to achieve through cosmetic filler use. From there, he or she will explain to you exactly what will occur during the procedure and answer any questions you may have.
- The Area is Anesthetized and Cleaned Prior to Procedure. To minimize pain and ensure that there is no risk of infection, the area is thoroughly sanitized and anesthetized before the doctor begins the procedure.
- The Dermatologist Injects the Filler. After injecting, the doctor will then massage the area and ensure that they have achieved the desired outcome.
- The Dermatologist and His or Her Team Debrief You on Any Home Instructions. You will be given an ice pack to minimize discomfort and instructed to: 1) apply ice to the area; 2) sleep on your back and avoid side-sleeping for 2 or 3 days; 3) avoid causing any pressure to the area of the procedure such as the use of goggles.
It is rare for patients to require medication after the procedure, but this will be at the discretion of your dermatologist.
If you do experience any unusual discomfort after the procedure, it is important that you contact the dermatologist’s office immediately. However, if you are not having any complications, your doctor will usually ask you to schedule a follow up roughly 2 weeks after your visit.
How Does a Skilled Dermatologist Make the Process of Receiving Cosmetic Fillers Easier?
If you decide to undergo a cosmetic filler procedure, you’ll want to ensure that you work with a very skilled, very qualified provider. Dermatologists who have experience in dermal fillers are the best choice because:
- Their movements are precise and leave fewer bruises;
- They know exactly which areas will work best for your fillers;
- They know what to do if anything should not look right after the procedure.
If you are interested in receiving cosmetic fillers or just want some more information on the procedure, contact a dermatologist’s office today. They will be able to walk you through the procedure and answer any questions you may have about cosmetic fillers.